54th ANNUAL HELL DIVERS RODEO, JUNE 1st – JUNE 4th, 2017
2017 HELL DIVERS SPEARFFISHING RODEO RULES & REGULATIONS
- Registration is open until midnight on May 31st, 2017. Rodeo Tickets may be purchased on line (www.helldivers.org) or by mail: c/o Hell Divers, 4421 Rue St. Peter St., Kenner, LA 70065. Divers may commit to any Hell Diver or by e-mail to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com Rodeo tickets are $50. Tickets are on sale until midnight on June 1st. Divers may commit for tickets on or before May 31st, payable at the rodeo site on June 4th.
- Valid fishing license is required of all participants.
- Diving is open to all waters.
- Competition starts Thursday, June 1st at 12:01 AM and ends Sunday, June 4th, 2017 at 1 PM.
- All fish subject to autopsy. Divers must inform the weight master of how fish was shot: scuba or skin and the diver’s age if 17 or under (Junior Division) or 55 or older (Senior Division).
- Scales open Sunday, June 4th, 2017 from 10 AM to 1 PM (if in line at 1 PM you must inform the weight master).
- All Decisions by Rodeo Officials will be final. Weigh Master has final say on weight of all fish and any disputes.
- Headquarters of the Rodeo: The Pavilion @ Kenner City Park located at Vintage and Loyola Drive, Kenner, LA.
- No Power Head allowed.
- Fish must be speared and apprehended by diver without assistance.
- Fish speared from boat are ineligible. Diver must be submerged.
- Skin and Scuba are allowed. Reels and bungee cords are allowed.
- Diver must present registration stub or e-mail confirmation to enter fish.
- Diver must be present to win entrance prizes on Sunday, June 4th, 2017
- Each category (Master Board) will receive a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place award (Rule 23 for eligible fish).
- All 1st receive 3 points; 2nd place, 2 points; and 3rd place, 1 point that goes towards the King/Club/Boat Awards.
- A separate board will be kept for the purpose of tabulation points for the Champion Skin Diver (Blake Terry Memorial Award) and Queen Spearfisherman. The 3-2-1 point system will be used with ties broken by cumulative weight of fish on these boards. Only fish shot Skindiving will count for the Skindiving Division, only fish shot by a woman will count for the Women Division. Awards for 1st and 2nd Runner-ups will be presented for the Skindiving Board only. If any fish shot while skin diving or by a woman makes the Master Board they will count on that board also.
- The David L. Irwin Memorial Club Award will be awarded to the Club with the highest point total for the fish under Rule 23
- The Warren “Whip” Mermilliod Memorial King Sperfisherman Award known as the “Whip” Award will be awarded to the diver with the highest point total under Rule 23.
- Ties for King/Club/Boat Awards will be determined by the cumulative weight of fishes taking awards.
- In case of any ties due to weight of fish in any category, the earliest fish entered wins.
- In the Miscellaneous category: Fish only, No Ocean Sunfish, Redfish, Jew Fish, Shark, or any other fish that is closed.
- MASTER BOARD: Eligible fish are as follows on the Master Board: JACK (any legal jack except for Jack Crevalle), BARRACUDA, COBIA, GROUPER, JACK CREVALLE, MANGROVE SNAPPER, MISCELLANEOUS (See Rule 22), RED SNAPPER, (If Red Snapper does not open June 1st that category will be any legal snapper except for Mangrove Snapper). SHEEPSHEAD, SPADEFISH, STINGRAY, AND TRIGGERFISH (any legal Trigger, Grey are closed)
- NO CHAMPION SHEEPSHEAD DIVER THIS YEAR.
- CHAMPION SENIOR DIVER any diver 55 or older on first day of the rodeo. CHAMPION JUNIOR DIVISION any diver 17 and under on the first day of the rodeo. The awards are based on the largest fish weight by the Senior and/or Junior divers. Divers in these divisions must inform the Weigh Master of their age at time fish are weight. Fish shot on these boards if large enough will count on the Master Board.
- 2BLUE WATER DIVISION: Champion Blue Water Diver: Blue Water Divers must use a float or buoy line while free diving for the following fishes: Yellow Fin Tuna, Black Fin Tuna, Mahi-Mahi, and Wahoo. A 3, 2, 1 point system will be use, with ties broken by the earliest entrées. Fish on the Blue Water Division will not count for any other awards. Fish shot with a float or buoy only counts on the Blue Water Division Board.
Rodeo tickets are $50 until midnight on June 1st. Scales will close at 1 PM on Sunday,
June 4th, 2017. If in line at 1 PM, divers must notify the weigh master. Diver must notify the weigh master how fish was shot, scuba, skin, or freediving. Senior Diver, 55 or over, and
Junior Diver, 17 or under, must notify the weigh master.